Wednesday, January 4, 2012

2012 Planner Fabric Cover

It's that time of year when I need to find a cool planner, since I have yet to go digital. For the past 2 years, I've managed to find an ugly planner, and make it beautiful with a little fabric and iron on vinyl. So, here's a quick tutorial!

1. Start with an ugly, or basic looking planner. The less flimsy the better, and make sure it's the kind that you can take out the pages section. You'll see what I mean...

2. Next, Find some cool fabric and measure 1/4" more fabric on top and bottom, and 2" more on each of the sides when planner backing is opened up.

3. Cut out a piece of iron on vinyl, the same size as your fabric.

Here's what it looks like in the store. First time using it and I love it!

4. Add in any extra to your design. I chose a blue ribbon, but also thought about adding a monogram or something. It's popular right now.
5. Following the manufacturer's directions, adhere the vinyl to the right side of the fabric. Snip off any extra fabric (such as my ribbon).

6. Fold over the top and bottom edges and give it a very small hem. Sew the top hem, then measure up against the planner to get the right fit before making the bottom hem. Also, I chose the same color thread as my ribbon to mix it up a bit.

7. Press over the side edges 2". These will be the flaps the old planner will fit into. Remember not to put the iron on the actual vinyl....you will ruin everything, including your iron!

8. Once pressed, sew another very very small seam at the bottom and top of the flaps. make sure it's small enough so you are able to slip the planner into the flap once you've sewn it together.

You may be able to see both seams here. I did the second seam in white, so you couldn't see it.


Slip the planner backing and the pages section back into it's new cover and....you're done!
Here is the finished product!

PS....I had to include George's 2011 Christmas outfit. Totally made out of one of the hubs old work shirts. Fortunately, they have the same neck size ;)
Happy New Year!

1 comment:

  1. I'm definitely going to try this. (Got a new sewing machine for christmas!!!) I've never tried iron on vinyl but it looks great! Thanks for posting Katy :)

    ReplyDelete