Monday, October 12, 2009

Bridesmaid dresses with pockets



As I was altering a bridesmaid dress this weekend, I came across the most odd thing.....pockets! Of all the years I've been altering dresses, this is the first that came to me with factory created pockets, inlaid in the side seams. My first thought was, what does this dress look like on a person when the pockets are stuffed with kleenex, cell phones, lipstick and cameras. Doesn't this alter the shape and look of the dress? And more importantly, isn't this uncomfortable?

Well, I asked the girl who would be wearing it to send me pictures of the the dress on the day of the wedding, and to give me some feedback on how practical the pockets really were. The dress was made of a crinkled chiffon, so it wasn't full in the least bit. So, I'm anxious to see how it looked with something inside the pockets. Here are some examples from some reputible designers....





Regardless, I have to commend 2 parties for the thought of including pockets in these dresses. First, to the designers. Thank you for understanding the need for bridesmaids to carry all of there small belongings between the ceremony, formal pictures, and the reception. There is always the...."Who can take our purses while we go down the aisle?" and "Where will they be when we start pictures?" This can be quite annoying for a wedding planner or assistant as we need to attend to more important things. Not that the bridesmaids needs are not ours, but our bride MUST come first. Second, I must commend the bride for choosing a bridesmaid dress with this commodity. Clearly they have been a bridesmaid before and are aware of their needs listed above. Bravo, ladies. Bravo. Thank you for thinking of your girls as if you were one of them!

1 comment:

  1. Great post Katy!
    The 2 Jim Hjelm bridesmaid dresses I am choosing between both have pockets but I never noticed them until my bridesmaids were trying on the dresses. They loved the pockets and I can totally see the need!

    ReplyDelete